Sunday, March 17, 2013

Beautiful Creatures Book Bracelet

"Mortals.  I envy you.  You think you can change things. Stop the universe.  Undo what was done long before you came along. You are such beautiful creatures." -Kami Garcia, Beautiful Creatures

So, this months book for book club was Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. When thinking about a craft to make to fit the book(s) I kept coming back to the idea of Lena's necklace. Lena's necklace was more than just part of her, but it represents all the important moments for her life.  Lena's version of a Facebook photo album  maybe.  Now, I love books and reading.  If I have a necklace like hers it would be full of the books I have read.  Now, I didn't find a way to make books look good on a necklace, but I did find a way to make a great charm bracelet.  


Materials:
Charm bracelet (I found one on sale at Walmart for $3)
Polymer Clay 
Paper with the book covers printed on it
Laminating Paper
Eye Hooks
Scissors
Something to create holes (I used pipe cleaners)

Directions:
1. Cut out the book covers and laminate them.  Cut off excess lamination paper.
2. Mold the clay into books.  Start with the white clay for the book pages, and then wrap in flat pieces of colored polymer clay.  
3. If wanted create other items to match the parts of the book.  I made a heart and also tried to make a casting moon. 
4. Bake clay as directed.
5. Attach the books to the bracelet using the eye hooks.

All the pieces

Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures

Book Club is being held this next weekend with all members present.  I am excited!  Time to discuss Lena and Ethan's worlds.  



No comments:

Post a Comment