Friday, March 1, 2013

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!"-Dr. Seuss, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

Happy Birthday to a person who has inspired me to treat everyone with respect, be kind to nature, use my imagination, believe in myself,  and to think for myself.  Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!!  I honestly didn't read a lot of Dr. Seuss as a child, but grew to like him more and read more of his stories as I got into middle and high school.  Today, I can appreciate him for how his stories are written to get kids to read and enjoy reading.  Also, the messages are good too!  

For Read Across America Day and Dr. Seuss's Birthday I wanted to make something for my office at work.  I found a cool wreath at Etsy and changed it to meet my needs.

Completed Wreath

Materials:
  • Wreath 
  • Plastic Shopping Bags
  • Yellow, Red, Blue, and Green Felt
  • Black Fabric Puff Paint
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Blue Spray Paints
  • Polyfill Fiber Stuffing
  • Scissors
Wreath Before It was Spray Painted



Directions:
1. Cut up about 10 plastic shopping bags that you have laying around the house into 1 inch wide strips the length of the plastic bag.
2. Tie these strips all around the wreath double knotting the tie. Trim to height you want the wreath to be.
3. Spray paint the wreath blue. Let dry.
4. Cut fish out from the felt pieces.  I free hand cut my fish out and didn't make patterns, but you can use the fish from the cover of the book as an example. I folded the felt in half as I cut so I got a front a back for the fish.
5. Hot glue the fish together leaving an opening for the stuffing. (I was lazy and used hot glue, but sewing would have been better).
6. Stuff the fish so they have a 3-D look to them and close off the fish.
7. Paint the words, "One", "Two", "Red", and "Blue" onto the corresponding fish.  Add eyes or other facial features as desired.
8. Hot glue fish onto wreath.
9. Hang the wreath and enjoy a Dr. Seuss book!

Fish Examples

No comments:

Post a Comment