Sunday, October 27, 2013

Zombie Coffee Cozy

"I think that most people would rather face the light of a real enemy than the darkness of their imagined fears." -Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

With Halloween just around the corner, I wanted to focus on some more festive books and craft projects. Although I read this book way back in May (and saw the movie when it came out this summer), World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks is a great book about human nature when faced with a crisis.  It just so happens that the crisis faced in this book is the zombie apocalypse, so that makes it even more awesome.  A few months ago I found these zombie coffee cozies over at Geek Crafts, so I knew I had to try them.  My main problem was, I didn't know how to crochet.  Well, that is a lie.  I was once taught how to make the basic chain, but never learned anything further than that.  With some help from the videos over at about.com, I taught myself the basics and was able to make my own zombie coffee cozy.



The main changes to my design were that I used a J size hook and my base row was 12 instead of 11 chains, and I attached my button loop differently.  Still a lot of work in order to say I am good at crocheting, but its better than just a chain.  

If you want to see something really frightening, check out my first attempt at the cozy.  My chains were dwindling down quickly.



No comments:

Post a Comment