Thursday, February 28, 2013

Alex Rider Books

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.  Some come from ahead and some come from behind.  But I've bought a big bat.  I'm already you see.  Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!"-Dr. Seuss

My little cousin T. enjoys the Alex Rider series.  These books are about a teenager who is a spy.  I can see how the teenage boy would find these books interesting.  I might even find them interesting.  We will see if I pick one up some time. I do enjoy a good spy movie, so I am sure a spy book would be even better.  



My love a spy gear is shown by the fact that I made two crafts for this book. The first craft I made was a spy tunes CD with unknown tunes on the tracks.  To find out what the tunes are you need to use a red decoder, or just the red side of 3-D glasses.  I found a pattern here of how to do it: http://strumpetscrumpets.blogspot.com/2011/05/secret-agent-birthday-tunes.html
On mine, however, I used a regular CD case and added will self-destruct after message onto the cover.  (Can you tell I watched a lot of the Inspector Gadget cartoons as a youth?).  Songs included themes from spy movies and shows, spy vs spy, and fun tunes about spies.



The second craft I made from this spy themed book was some TNT.  It does come in handy for spies, and a good spy needs to practice defusing a bomb every once in awhile.  This was really simple and looks kind of fun!

Materials:
3 Toilet Paper Tubes
Red and Black Construction Paper
3 Different Colored Pipe Cleaners
Scissors
Glue
Pencil

Directions:
1. Cut out red construction paper so that it will wrap around the tubes and glue the paper to the toilet paper tubes.  
2. Trace around the top of the tubes with a pencil onto red construction paper.  Cut out circle and glue to the top and bottoms of tubes.
3. Glue the three toilet paper tubes together, once they are all covered in the construction paper, in a pyramid formation.
4. Cut out two long strips of black construction paper.  Wrap them around the tube and glue them on to form the "bundling cable".
5. Glue the 3 different pipe cleaners onto the tubes to create "bomb wires".  I used hot glue for this part. (Mostly because I am not very patient).

I'm thinking a spy party might be in order.  James Bond movies and some reading of Alex Rider maybe?


In other news Beautiful Creatures got here today!  Yay! Nothing like new book scent.



No comments:

Post a Comment