Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Getting Ready For Spring

"For her fifth wedding the bride wore black and drank a scotch and soda." -Phyllis Batelle

Spring cannot come fast enough.  I am sick of snow and ice.  What been cheering me up is thinking that spring is just around the corner.  I will get to enjoy my porch again and go for walks outside!  I just can't wait.  



I am getting ready to decorate my porch with these lanterns made out of soda pop cans.  Great for book club decorations when you can have your first outdoors meeting or any book about princesses.  I recommend Once Upon a Curse by E.D. Baker for the tween girls right now.  It is a fun read and puts a twist on the traditional princess and the frog story.  


Materials:
Soda Can
Xacto Knife

Directions:
1. Rinse out empty soda can.  Fill empty soda can(s) with water.  Put in freezer and let set over night.  
2. Remove cans from freezer and cut a rectangular slot in back with the Xacto so that you can add candles to the lantern should you choose to.  
3. Cut slits into the can in a half an inch pattern all around the can starting at the ridge of the can and ending a half inch from the bottom of the can.  This can be done straight up and down or curved. See above for examples of both.
4. Let ice melt from the can in the sink.
5. Press top of the can towards the bottom of the can.  If slits need to be cut deeper to get through the can use the Xacto knife to cut where the score marks are.  


Enjoy thinking about warmer weather and barbecues with these cute spring/summer decorations!


No comments:

Post a Comment